About the Opportunity
Has the COVID era led you to reflect on your career and the life you’d like to lead? If so, what are you looking for?
- The opportunity to build your career at a rapidly growing independent portfolio management firm while enjoying the benefits of a cottage country lifestyle?
- The flexibility of a professional and welcoming workplace that truly gets work–life balance?
- The independence to shape your future and contribute meaningfully to the development of a growing investment advisory practice?
If any or all the above speak to you, we invite you to consider joining W.A. Robinson Asset Management Ltd. as a Portfolio Manager/Investment Fund Manager.
A Key Member of the Team
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic group of investment professionals that have a passion for investing. At W.A. Robinson, we are looking for someone who can play a meaningful role in our investment process. You will be expected to not only participate in meetings with the management team but to also express your opinions and share your expertise with the team on a regular basis. We want someone who looks beyond consensus and sees the opportunity to generate returns for our clients and the firm.
As a key member of our team, you will make meaningful contributions to the success of client relationships and the success of W.A. Robinson by supporting a small book of clients and the investment funds currently on offer to them.
To thrive in this role, you will:
- Gain an intimate understanding of clients’ life goals, circumstances and needs to provide investment counselling integrated into a holistic approach to wealth management
- Oversee and guide the funds to success while preserving our intimate understanding of the WAR client profile and our integrated approach to wealth management for our high net-worth clients
- Supervise, monitor, and coach new advisors and help them to meet their potential and career development paths as fully-fledged Portfolio Managers
- Understand W.A. Robinson’s risk appetite and risk culture and apply these to all day-to-day activities and decisions, ensuring that they follow governing regulations, internal policies, and procedures
- Be an alpha fund manager who has a proven track record in implementing a fund’s investing strategy and managing its portfolio trading activities
- Display a passion for investment markets to identify the operating drivers of stock performance to distinguish skill from luck
What Will You Do?
- Manage the timely, accurate, and effective reporting and analysis of asset holdings and returns across the W.A. Robinson Funds
- Manages the day-to-day investment operations for the funds, including account reconciliation, trade processing and settlement, and maintenance of data integrity
- Liaise with our Fund Accountant and ensure a professional and productive relationship as it relates to reporting and reconciliation activities
Fund Research & Analysis
- Conduct in-depth industry analysis and research using industry and financial sources
- Collect, consolidate, and interpret company and industry data
- Write research reports for Senior Management, Portfolio Managers, and the Product Review Committee
- Follow overall market news and evaluate market data to assess short and long-term trends
- Present investment conclusions to the portfolio managers in a timely fashion and assist in the construction of the portfolios.
- Build reports, commentaries, and presentations for management, clients, and Sales and Marketing
- Prepare marketing presentations for the Chief Sales Officer, internal and external clients
- Assist in the preparation of thorough and well-researched agendas for Product Review Committee Meetings to develop a deep understanding of investment products, with an emphasis on bottom-up company research. Use direct and indirect questioning methods, as well as adaptive techniques, to gain insights from interactions with investment managers.
- Develop the ability to independently research and conduct detailed analysis of investment managers using relentless passion and creative thinking to find insights in the nuances of investment processes
- Offer insight into an investment manager’s potential and stability based on the application of W.A. Robinsons’ best practices across key categories.
- Liaise with internal colleagues, and others to provide investment expertise.
- Create and maintain manager research and asset class reports for research purposes
- Assist with the development of new products
Advisor Support & Supervision
- As the Senior Member of the Advisor Team, contribute to the effective and positive functioning of W.A. Robinson and the Wealth Management Team
- Foster and develop a strong, positive team environment, driving employee empowerment, innovation, and a high degree of engagement
- Build effective working relationships across the team
- Maintain a high level of client service and effectively resolve or escalate client issues as required
- Facilitate a culture of open and honest communication
- Actively participate in and contribute to coaching sessions and team meetings
- Encourage the generation of new ideas and approaches
- Actively share knowledge and experience to enhance the development of all team members
- Act as a mentor to junior colleagues, taking a leadership role on the team
What Will You Need to Succeed?
- PM registration, CIM certification and at least 4 years previous work experience with a portfolio management firm, or CFA certification and at least 12 months work experience with a portfolio management firm
- University degree (business, economics, accounting, finance)
- Proficient in the completion of a financial plan
- High proficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter and able to work well independently and within a team environment
- Possess influential skills sufficient to conduct and extract insight from the participation in the research process by internal and external sources.
- Strong writing ability necessary to prepare clear and concise written recommendations, involving detailed descriptions, explanations and insight requiring the accurate use of specialized terminology.
- Passion for capital markets displayed by following market news flow, market trends, and company/stock analysis.
- Self-planning skills sufficient to prioritize assignments.
- Knowledge/experience in the investment industry, with a solid understanding of Alternative investments, Stocks, Bonds, Derivatives and Mutual Funds including knowledge of individual companies and securities.
What’s in It for You?
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and the ability to work remotely
- Leaders who support a work/life balance as well as your development through coaching and managing education and opportunities
- Being part of a dynamic, collaborative, progressive and high-performing team
Cultural Fit: Possess a personality and values that align with and nurtures the corporate culture:
“Everyone working together to achieve success through trust, teamwork, professionalism, and innovation.”
Job Location: W.A. Robinson’s head office is located in Sharbot Lake, ON, 50 minutes north of Kingston, however this is a remote opportunity.
Job Type: Full-time
Benefits: Competitive Salary with potential annual increases; Bonus Plan: Benefits per company policy (RRSP Contribution; Health Benefits)
We wish to thank all who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Position available immediately. Interested applicants are asked to send their resume to: email@example.com